Friday, October 23, 2009

It’s Here (Officially)

Yesterday marked the release of Windows 7 to the public. While Windows 7 has been out to OEMs and other major system builders yesterday was the day one could walk into a retail store and pick it up.

After playing with the beta and the RC versions, I was hoping that the final RTM version(Release to Manufacturing) would live up to the hype that the developmental stages did. Much to my surprise it has lived up to the expectations that I was hoping.

The only downside to Windows 7 out of the gate for me was the upgrade install I did to my laptop. It took about 3 hours to complete the upgrade on my laptop which is not ancient at all (Core 2 Duo @ 2.26Ghz, 4GB of RAM, 500GB HDD). While a clean install on my desktop only took about 25 minutes. Other than the Upgrade method, Windows 7 has lived to its hype.

Pretty much all of the features available in the beta and RC have survived and made it to the RTM version. Though one change has been made at the labeling method that Microsoft happened to plan. Business is now once again Professional.

I’ll post more thoughts later, when I’m done going through the inner guts that is Windows 7 Ultimate.

No comments: